Muna Kahveci, Secretary of the Kurdistan Parliament
Muna Kahveci (Turkmen Reform Party) (full name Muna Nabi Nadir Abdullah) was born in Erbil on 15th November 1978, and has a Bachelors degree in law. She was first elected to the Kurdistan Parliament in the Advance Turkmen list in 2013, and was reelected in the September 2018 parliamentary election in the Turkmen Reform Party. MPs elected her as Secretary of Parliament on 18th February 2019. She is the first Turkmen to be elected to the Presidency of the Parliament.
Ms. Kahveci heads the Turkmen Reform Party’s bloc in parliament. In the fourth term from 2013 to 2017, she headed the Advance Turkmen Party’s parliamentary block. In the fourth term, she was a member of parliament’s committee for parliament affairs, and of the committee on Kurdistani areas outside the KRG Administrative area. Ms. Kahveci was a member of the Kurdistan Region High Council on the Independence Referendum.
Ms. Kahveci (full name Muna Nabi Nadir Abdullah) has been active in politics and in representing the Turkmen since 1995. She is Deputy President of the Turkmen Reform Party (since 2014), and was previously President (2012-2014) and Deputy President (2005-2012) of the Turkmen Independent Movement. From 2003 to 2005, she was the Director of the Public Organization for Turkmen.
Ms. Kahveci was very active in political youth movements. From 1995 to 2000, she was a member of the Turkmen Youth and Students Union, and from 2000 to 2003 she was President of the Turkmen Youth Union.
She has spoken at many seminars and conferences:
- Workshop on the protection of children and on women’s rights
- Panel on Kurdistan after the independence referendum, Lebanese-French University
- Panel on the role of woman, US Consulate
- Panel on the status of coexistence in Iraqi Kurdistan
- Conference on the roadmap for the State of Kurdistan from the perspective of economics and political and social sciences.
- Project on ensuring the rights of ethnic minorities in Iraq
Telephone: 0770 445 6776 / 0750 445 6776